300 hr Teacher Training in India
UPDATE: I am settling in Los Angeles and plan to open my own yoga teaching space here very soon! For this reason we will need to postpone our inaugural teacher training until next winter. If you made a deposit, it can be applied to next year's training or receive an immediate refund. We are excited to offer this training and will be offering workshops and modules from teacher training in the meantime in Los Angeles. Thank you for staying in touch!
I am thrilled to facilitate this offering, a 300 hour yoga teacher training in India along with my beloved Vallabhdas and beloved friend Madan Mohan. For those unable to attend the full 4-week teacher training, we will be opening up attendance for each single week and offering continuing education credits. Each week session will have its own focus and curriculum. See below for more details and registration!
Start your new year with a total shift toward lasting health and bliss, with this immersion into yogic practice, lifestyle and teachings. Our Teacher Training offers an intimate small group experience that couples serious study with great fun. You will enjoy, learn, and walk away with both the confidence to teach and the tools to establish a meaningful career. Please connect with us with any questions. When ready please fill out this online APPLICATION form.
For those yogis unable to attend the entire month long training, we are opening up single week attendance as well. Although individual attention and care are foremost, the daily schedule and primary focus is to prepare the month long trainees to become adept yoga teachers. There will be opportunity for free time and as well as group excursions, but the schedule will be full, and the experience is designed to be immersive and intense. If your primary intention is more a relaxing retreat than a deep exploration of yogic philosophy and practice, you might prefer to wait until our next India spiritual retreat offering. That said, all are welcome and we are facilitating a beautiful, rich experience for you all. Join us for the month or for single weeks, with the following themes based on the traditional Vedic four pursuits of life:
Week 1 (December 30-January 5)
Seeing "Foundations." With in-depth study of Hatha Yoga Pradipika
Week 2 (January 5 - 12)
Applying "Practicals." With in-depth study of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras
Week 3 (January 13 - 19)
Being "Love." With in-depth study of Bhagavad Gita
[Note: Week 3 includes an extended stay in the amazing nearby temple town of Nathdwara]
Week 4 (January 20 - 26)
Teaching "Freedom." With in-depth study of Narada's Bhakti Sutras
We are striving to keep this program as accessible to all serious students and teachers of yoga. One way is our commitment to make the learning space one of inclusivity, respect and safety. Another way is to make the program affordable but comfortable, and an equitable exchange of energy. After careful consideration of the program costs (inclusive of housing, local excursions, all vegan meals and the course of study) we were able to reduce to the following competitive rates:
Full teacher training program: $4000
Late registration (after December 1): $5000
Single Week registration: $1250
*This does not include your airfare to and from Udaipur, India
(~ $800-1200 roundtrip from USA to Delhi and ~ $140 roundtrip Delhi-Udaipur)
- One year daily asana and meditation practice
- Strict Vegetarian diet
- Travel insurance: We recommend World Nomads with policies as low as $89. Other options include STA Travel and Travel Guard). Travel insurance can cover emergency treatments, hospitalization, emergency repatriation, and even trip cancellation. Read the fine print and ask questions of course.
- Take a look at the CDC's immunization recommendations. In the locations and season we are traveling, there should not be a very high risk of malaria.
In 300 words, compose a written dharmic teaching (in a style you might share with your students in a class) with personal inspiration about how yogic practice has contributed to your life and motivated you to become a teacher.
Liability and Ethics Waivers
We will require you to sign these legal documents in person upon arrival, and will provide you a copy beforehand for your review.
Yoga Teacher’s Insurance
To successfully complete the month long Teacher certification [or for single week attendees, to practice giving hands-on yoga assists] you must provide us proof of yoga teacher’s insurance. We recommend Philadelphia Insurance Company. Note: this will be a requirement of any yoga studio you teach at in the future
For each of the following books, compose a 300 word written dharmic teaching using personal insight and experiences gleaned from reading the book to inspire students in a yoga class. Kindly submit these to us in writing by December 15.
1) Here Comes the Sun: The Spiritual and Musical Journey of George Harrison, by Joshua M. Greene
2) Fundamentals of Yoga: A Handbook of Theory, Practice and Application, by Ramamurti S. Mishra, M.D. (Shri Brahmananda Sarasvati)
We highly recommend you review these books and keep them in your yogic library. You will definitely refer to these throughout your career. We will be teaching from them, but it is not necessary to bring them to India with you.
1) Light on Yoga, by B.K.S. Iyengar
2) Myths of the Asanas: The Stories at the Heart of the Yoga Tradition, by Alanna Kaivalya and Arjuna van der Kooij
3) Hatha Yoga Pradipika: Light on Hatha Yoga. Commentary by Swami Muktibodhananda
Required books to have with you in India:
Note: Kindle editions are fine if that works for you, and are available for all titles except #6, Yogavataranam, which we will use for Sanskrit study.
2) Yoga Assists: A Complete Visual and Inspirational Guide to Yoga Asana Assists, by Sharon Gannon and David Life
3) Yoga Anatomy, by Leslie Kaminoff and Amy Matthews, 2nd edition
4) The Yoga of Spiritual Devotion: A Modern Translation of the Narada Bhakti Sutras, by Prem Prakash
5) Universal Yoga: The Bhagavad Gita for Modern Times, by Prem Prakash
6) Yogavataranam: The Translation of Yoga, by Zoë Slatoff-Ponté
- Yoga Asana and philosophy
- Safe sequencing and assists
- Alignment and energetics
- Pranayama and Meditation
- Reading and writing in Sanskrit
- Indian literature and philosophy
- Harmonium and yogic Music Theory
- Vegan diet and cooking demonstrations
- Career tips
- Auditioning techniques for job placement
- Practical teaching experience
- Readings, homework, evaluation and discussion
- Ample individual attention and ongoing guidance
- Daily asana classes taught by Jenna Faith and incrementally by teacher trainees themselves
- Daily Sanskrit study
- Daily group meetings, readings, satsangs
- Workshops in selected topics
- Cultural immersion and pilgrimage in a culturally rich, dignified, safe and gorgous region of Rajasthan
- Excursions, temple darshans, walks, outdoor yoga
Sample Daily Schedule:
6-6:30 am: Group Meditation
6:30-8 am: Breakfast/free time
8-10 am: Asana and discussion
10 am-1 pm: Workshops
1-3 pm: lunch/free time
3-4 pm: Sanskrit script and grammar
4-5 pm: Yoga philosophy and texts
5-6 pm: Harmonium instruction
6-8 pm: Dinner/free time
8-9 pm: Restorative yoga and meditation
9-10 pm: Satsang circle
10-10:30 pm: Closing and journaling
After careful consideration of available literature and personal experience, we have aligned with the many yoga schools and programs which choose NOT to affiliate with Yoga Alliance, for the following reasons:
- The Yoga Alliance curriculum requirements are arbitrary, limited, and not reflective of what we believe are the most essential, practical elements of a yoga teacher training
- YA is widely considered to be far removed from any actual standards or ethics in the yoga community
- YA does not investigate claims or actually monitor their certified teachers and schools
- YA certification alone will never be the basis for being hired or respected as a yoga teacher
Although Jenna's certification is through Jivamukti Yoga school, please note that our training does not certify you as a Jivamukti Yoga teacher, nor is our training based on the Jivamukti method.